Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Where Art Thou, Thanksgiving?

So, I've never been overly into Thanksgiving. Though, I always like when it comes around because I can enjoy it and appreciate it without feeling like some kind of fraud like with religious holidays. Though, I usually think at least once each year about how Native Americans were thanked for their kindness with slaughter. But, I digress. I know people say this every year, but Christmastime seems to come along earlier every year. But, this year, it really did come earlier!! WASH FM, the soft rock/adult contemporary radio station I listen to sometimes always plays Christmas/holiday music starting the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas. But, when I turned on the radio today, I was astounded to hear something strange...a song from The Grinch or something. I thought maybe it was a fluke (a wierd fluke), but I was later validated by what sounded like a Michael Bolton holiday song. What?? It's not even Thanksgiving yet. What happened to Thanksgiving? It's like no one cares anymore. There are day after Thanksgiving sales, but that doesn't count. The food tends to be the same at Thanksgiving and Christmas, which works for me since its usually yummy. And its family time. When your family is scattered throughout the country, it's nice to have a reason to get together, even if its just the once for the holiday, even though we all know we shouldn't wait until a holiday to see our family if we can help it. But, once is better than none. Maybe I missed the memo, but I still like Thanksgiving, even if it is just a precursor to Christmas.

3 comments:

evolver said...

Here in Canada, thanksgiving is in October. So we only have Halloween to protect us, then its 'ho ho ho' for two solid months. :)

mscamille said...

LOL I never thought of it that way...weird that it seems like just yesterday we discussed why Thanksgiving in Canada is at a different time than in the US :)

evolver said...

Last year, same time, same story, huh? :)

Hope it was a pleasant day.