Sunday, May 18, 2008

Presently

My 3 year (I think) blogiversary was last week and while my blog topics have become more far and few between, the happenings in my life have sorta increased in number. That is a weird roundabout way of saying that I have slightly more of a life, but haven't blogged about it. So, instead of blogging about "real life", I'll blog about something else we all love...spam.

So, lately I've been getting tons of spam from "foreign people" trying to give me money. My favorite is one with the following subject line: "I am presently at JFK airport". I knew that one would be good. Apparently, I've left Frank Chambers (a diplomat from the Caribbean) hangin' in the airport with 7.5 million dollars. Hopefully the Internet access is free since he is literally emailing me from the airport.

Well, I lied...a little real life. I'm really enjoying teaching English as a second language. Did I blog about that already? I can't remember. Well, if not, surprise! I'm tutoring two Korean students and its fun and rewarding. Taught one how to say "banana" like an American. I had to somehow explain that I have no idea why the "ban" in "banana" sounds like buh and "ban" the word sounds like, well, ban. I mean, seriously. I love words. I've always been interested in them and how they fit together to form language, and slang, and grammar, etc. And I've always known that the English language could be really weird and annoying, specifically pronunciation-wise. But, it's really becoming more obvious to me as I teach. I feel really bad for anyone who has to learn it as a second language. It's mostly memorization instead of logic. Ridiculous word of the hour: aisle. No one new to the English language could ever figure out how to say that on the first try. Let alone a second or third.

On a more positive note, one of the newest additions to the American population, my son, will hopefully have limited problems learning to speak English. He doesn't really say any real words yet and has, in fact, stop saying uh oh, but he has got several different letter combination sounds down. And he started walking this past week!! He's a-growin'!

No comments: