Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ode to Spot

So, I thought I would share a little bit of Star Trek Humor. From The Next Generation show, to be exact. I am not really a Trekkie, per se, but I certainly love Star Trek. I've been watching re-runs. I, in fact, have at least 50 Voyager re-runs on my computer that's I've been hoarding thanks to TiVo (again, love technology). I recently came upon a TNG episode where Data has taken up writing poetry. It of course is a miserable, yet hilarious failure due to his lack of emotion. I find it very funny, though others may not. It is interesting that all of the Star Trek installments have found humor in the characters that exihibit little to no emotion. Data being one of the ones that provides the most humor. Warf being my next favorite. Anyway, here is Data's poem about his cat, Spot. Very cleverly written in classic Data fashion.

Ode to Spot

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature?
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
a singular development of cat communications
that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

1 comment:

evolver said...

This is one of my favourite things Data ever did... heh, I totally forgot about his ode to Spot. :)