Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Essentials

I've been hoarding topics again. Some are events long since gone...but the thoughts have stuck in my mind. And I think, therefore I am, ergo I blog.

A little while ago we had a blackout that lasted like two days. It was oh so fun trying to figure out what to do as we couldn't find any flashlights. Luckily we had some hardcore flashlight thingy for the car that was unopened and it provided a lot of light and could be propped up. Some tea lights that I had from Ph also came in very handy. Candles really do shed a lot of light, no wonder people could survive with just that for so long. What I mean to say is, we've (I've) become totally dependent on electricity, its sad.

Next was the water issue due to a broken water main or something. We had no potable water for a few days. I hate the word potable because what the hell does that mean anyway. We couldn't drink the freakin' water. Never have I been one to jump up and run to the store and clear out the shelves at the first sign of trouble or natural disaster. But, this time, I had to go and get water. It actually was a lifesaver. Especially with a baby. I bought some small water bottles even though I usually try to stay away from them because I think its a waste of plastic. I was not at all happy with this situation in general. And again, too dependent. I'm certainly privileged as I know that there are many many people who live without drinkable water, yet must drink it anyway and who live with no electricity. Such is life. But, I try to do my part to help others.

Speaking of people who are down and out and helping others. Recently there was a man on the side of the road with a sign...you know, the one that says they are homeless and need food or whatever. The car in front of me had his hand out of the window and was holding something. It looked like a pack of crackers. And then, he chucked it on the ground. He actually threw the food onto the ground and made the homeless man pick it up like a dog. I was absolutely disgusted. I'm still mad about that. What, he didn't want to touch the man's hand? The line of cars wasn't moving so it wasn't that. I guess I shouldn't judge because there could be any number of reasons why he did that. Maybe he was worried for his safety or the safety of those in his car and didn't want to have the window all open where the man could just reach in. But, I didn't get that vibe at the time. The casual way that he chucked it on the ground did not give me that impression. Anyway, we were on our way to get something to eat, and I thought about the situation briefly and then promptly forgot about it. I think that is something from which many of us suffer. We know there's a problem, we think about trying to help, but then our lives interfere and we go about our business. Though I envy those who go beyond that. I think that's partly why I wanted to do the ESL tutoring. I wanted to do my part. And its very enjoyable. It's not helping homeless people, in fact my students seem to be quite well off, but its my part, nonetheless.

No comments: